Saturday, December 8, 2012

Team GSF

Last month, I ran in the Santa Barbara International Marathon Relay to support our friends and a cause that is important to us, The Gwendolyn Strong Foundation.
 
 
 
I had 3 goals when deciding to do this:
 
1. Meet my fundraising goal which was $1000
2. Run, don't walk!
3. Run under a ten-minute mile
 
Goal one, completed! In fact, I raised a total of $1,095!!! Thank you to everyone who donated!
 
Goal two, completed!  But it wasn't easy for me and I even ran the shortest leg of the race which was 4 miles. Honestly, I am just not a runner.  The first two miles were okay but after that I was wondering where the transition point was. My knees started to ache and it was FREEZING that morning, like super cold, my lungs were burning.
 
My mindset was I figured I had run a 5K and did okay that one more mile wouldn't be a big deal.  Well when it is that cold and the wind is going against you, it makes a difference.  Also, running inside on the treadmill for a few miles every now and then is not really training.  I kept looking at all the runners around me, most were on mile 14 when I joined them at my point in the relay and I was thinking the whole time, "there is no way I could ever run a marathon, or a half marathon or even much further than 4 miles!" 
 
Goal three, I don't know.  I tracked my run with the Run Keeper app and it said I ran a 9:34 mile but it also said I ran 4.59 miles.  So maybe it wasn't accurate because the course was supposed to only be 4 miles. Maybe I was running side to side at times and not one foot in front of the other, I would not be surprised since this whole running thing is not my forte.  Oh well, those last two goals were lame compared to goal number one and how amazing the day was.
 
 
 
Our relay team rocked it! This is us at the start of the race. I think we all have makeup on, I see a sparkly headband, some fancy GSF gear, sweet sunglasses and four girls who were asking so many questions as to what was going on around us.  Sarah's husband, Mike, was so gracious to be our guide for the day and drove us to each of the transitions.  He was also a good sport entertaining all of my dumb questions about marathon running.  Thanks Mike!
 
 
Remember our pre-race photo?  Not so serious ;)
 
 
While we were all getting ready for the race, my two cheerleaders were getting ready to come watch us.  Todd couldn't find Thatcher's TEAM GSF shirt so he made him one.  Fancy, huh?
 

 And here is the finish area at Santa Barbara City College where there was a sea of GSF team runners and supporters. Such a positive and emotional feeling we all had that day!
 
 
 
Cutest cheerleaders out there!


 
Rocking the rain boots!




 I'm so proud of our team and the money we raised and what great runners Sarah, Leanne and Tia are.  I think I am better suited to be a cheerleader, Lord knows they have seen my high school cheerleader moves one too many times ;)
 
Victoria and Bill posted a great recap of the days events here.  

 
Over 100 runners were a part of Team GSF.  The night before the race we had a pre-race event at the Canary Hotel.  It was pretty amazing to be in the room with so many people who feel the same way about the Strong family and who believe in the cause. And guess what the final tally was on how much money was raised.......135,000!!!  Amazing!

 
And this is why we ran! Look at this family, they are amazing, inspiring and the best, BEST parents I have ever met.  Gwendolyn is one lucky girl!

 
Seeing this picture makes me almost, ALMOST want to run again next year ;)  Never say never, right?
 
 
Later that evening, the Strong's hosted a post-race event at Rusty's Pizza.  It was so nice to catch up with everyone after the race and eat pizza and drink beer (guilt-free).

 
And these little boys....


 
 Trouble!

No comments: