Monday, December 16, 2013

TEAM GSF 2013


Last month I completed my FIRST half marathon! 


My cheering squad came with me to the Expo to pick up my number and timing chip.  Which coincidently, said number had to be changed because said timing chip was somehow lost at the Expo.  Thank goodness I realized it the night before the half-marathon and not the morning of because I was able to get it straightened out that evening.  But how sucky would that have been to not been tracked.....  


So lucky #2402 became lucky #4748 ;)


What I REALLY was lucky to be a part of was running for the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation.  


At the pre-race event at the Canary Hotel, we heard touching speeches, learned more about the cause and future endeavors.  We met new friends and visited with old friends, all of us there with one goal, to raise funds and awareness for Gwendolyn and others affected by Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). 


This part of the event is really special because the room is filled with so much love for this incredible family doing incredible things.  Every single penny raised goes 100% to finding a cure, granting iPads, raising unique awareness and so much more.  100%!   Thank you to all my friends and family who so generously helped me to raise over $1000 this year! 


And look who won the random drawing for a nice (LARGE) bottle of Sea Smoke 2008 Cab.  Gwendolyn picked my name out of all 80 runners!  Gwendolyn sure knows how to pick the right person for a prize ;)



Race morning came awful quick.  Does anyone sleep the night before a race? 


My mom and dad came out to support me and cheer on all the runners. 


You couldn't go two steps without seeing TEAM GSF runners.  


Never Give Up was spotted every where you turned! 


A special tribute to Veteren's Day with multiple flyovers of military planes. 


I waited for the crowd to thin out a bit and then I was off!




While this crew went to Chick-Fil-A for breakfast, I was just running and running and running.  It takes a long time to run 13.1 miles..... You just keep running and running.....  


The Deakyne family was awesome, more than AWESOME!  They were all over the race course with signs and giving out high fives.  They made the running and running and more running more worth it ;)


I think this is around mile 8?  I knew my family and friends would be here at Modoc and Los Positas.  Seeing your family and friends out there gives you that extra boost you need to keep going.  

 

And then, the Deakynes AGAIN! 

And then, you turn the corner and running mile 9 (I think it is 9) down Los Positas is BORING!  I started to get a bit achy at that point and the road is uneven so it isn't the smoothest on your knees.  There weren't many spectators and it was getting hot. And before it gets better, it gets worse with a hill you know you have to run up. 


But then, AFTER you get up that hill, you turn a few corners and there is an ocean view and it is all downhill!  Happy Ronda again! 




And lots of happy friends!  Hi Elena!

Lauren was running the full marathon and the crazy thing is she ran the New York marathon the week prior.  Talk about dedication! 


Speedy Leanne, she passed right by me on Los Positas looking like a champ!


I was super proud of Daalia, she PR'd with some ridiculous fast time. 




Motivating signs like this were spread throughout the course.


The last mile had a banner in support of Veteran's Day that said, "The First 25.2 Miles Are For Me, The Last Mile Is For Our Veterans." Veterans were handing out American flags to each of the runners to carry into the finish line.



Mike, Bill and Gwendolyn coming through almost to the finish!


Obviously I didn't pay for my finish line photo but there I am ;)




2:03.57/9:27 mile  I was hoping for a 9:30 mile so I met my goal.  But of course now I can't help but think I could have been under 2 hours if I could shave off the :03.57



Planes flew overhead as the winner of the marathon came in which was pretty close to right after I finished the half.  Pretty incredible! 




This fabulous trio was working at the GSF booth


Lots of kiddos out supporting the team. 


And the most important kiddo (and Mama) of the day, Gwendolyn and Victoria Strong. 


Immediately after the race we rushed up for Samantha's soccer game and then lunch with the family at Hollister Brewing Company for a much needed glass of wine to celebrate.


Later, Thatcher added my race medal to his collection of medals.


And then after indulging in pizza at a post-race party, we all headed downtown for more post-race fun :)


For a recap from the Strong Family, please visit this link as they do an amazing job sharing the day!



3 comments:

your husband ;) said...

I could not be more proud of you...awesome and inspiring job my love!!

cathy said...

Fun day ronda, great job running.Todd, Sammy and Thatcher were such troopers.

The Hall Family said...

Well, in my book you were under 2 hours - all those photo ops slowed your pace ;)