Thursday, June 6, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day weekend was perfect.  The 3-day weekend was filled with equal parts adult time, friend time and family time with amazing weather (I am posting this 2 weeks later where June Gloom is starting right on time....).


Todd and I started the weekend off with a date to a Flamenco fundraiser at Oreana Winery. 



Followed by incredible sushi at Arigato. 



We've known Daryl the manager at Arigato for over 10 years now.  We met when Todd and I were just dating and were able to frequent our favorite restaurant a lot more than we get to now.  It still holds a special place in our hearts and Daryl still seats us at "our" table ;)  



On Saturday, we hit up the Santa Barbara Farmers Market  for some fresh fruit and veggies (the kids left with red faces from all the berries they sampled). 



We can't leave there without making a stop by the balloon man ;)



After procrastinating most of the day, I finally went out and did a run up a portion of Romero Canyon. 


A little foggy towards the water but still it was breathtaking.  I also turned a corner on the trail and came in contact with a gigantic deer which at first scared the hell out of me because I thought it was a huge dog coming towards me.  I had a moment of panic when I couldn't remember whether or not deer bite but that moment vanished when I realized the deer was more scared of me.  Good Bambi!



The beach weather continued on Sunday so Lollipop and I went for a long overdue beach run.  







I love this dog!  



Memorial Day Weekend always marks the Imadonnari Festival at the Mission.  Our friend Meredith draws each year and shows off her incredible talent. 




They had a kids' area where of course Thatcher thought the Angry Birds drawing was the best thing he had ever seen.  Pretty good for a kid!


We bumped into Sam's classmate Mara who did a pretty self-portrait drawing as well. 




After the festival we headed down to Padaro Beach Grill to relax and enjoy some lunch. On a side note, we didn't spot one seagull.  How did this place finally figure out how to get rid of the burger stealing birds?!  And it isn't those swinging antenna things because those never stopped them before..... In any case, it was nice not to have to guard our food at all times.


Later that evening, Todd and I went to our first bowl concert of the year.  My pick, Ice Cube!  I grew up loving this kind of music (I still do!). 


Pre-concert dinner at Opal. 


One of the best appetizers in town ----------> Phyllo Wrapped Tiger Prawns in Coconut Curry Sauce!

The Santa Barbara Bowl is still the best venue to see a concert at and each year it gets better and better with all the improvements they keep making. 


A little Flavor Flav from Public Enemy.  He was fun and funny to watch. 


Ice Cube was awesome!


I seriously felt like I was back in high school.  Too bad LL Cool J closed the show because frankly he sucked.....


Oh well, we had a great night and I made new friends, shocking right? 




The next morning we woke up to two kids who were ready to make Perfect Pancakes.  Good thing Thatcher had on his Transformer gloves.  Very important when attempting to make the Perfect Pancakes. 




I wasn't messing around about making Perfect Pancakes! 

They came out thick as hamburger buns and 


were FAR from perfect.  But, they tasted good and it satisfied the kids' endless begging for that gimmick.  Remind me never to go in the As Seen on TV store in town here, I seriously can spend hours in there and want to try out everything! 

After pancakes it was time for another beach run and for Lollipop to meet the love of her life. 




Then home to shuck corn on the cob for the barbecue later that afternoon at Auntie Holley's house. 




Spicy jalapeño and pineapple margaritas were just the start of all the yummy things we ate and drank that day. 


Trying hard to get a "selfie"


Much better when someone just takes the picture for you.













I should note that all this fun was happening while a fire was once again burning in the Santa Barbara hills (no one was hurt and it is over now).  We did consume a lot of ash that was floating in the air and on to our food.  Perhaps that is where this silliness came from.....





 




And what good party doesn't end with a dance party?!

2 comments:

Stone Family said...

What a great post! I feel all caught up now. And what a bummer to hear LL Cool J sucked... so disappointing.

SB in SB said...

you packed A LOT in that weekend. i think we should have 3-day weekends more often. they're awfully fun! i gotta say, though, that Beck was totally owning the dance floor during the dance party. Sweet moves. xoh