Sunday, November 11, 2012

Happy 6th Birthday Lollipop

Our youngest turned six on October 21st. Yep, we are those kind of dog people, we have a birthday party for her every year.  We love our dog so darn much it hurts to think that we will (most likely) outlive her.  For the past 6 years, Lollipop has brought us so much unconditional love we just can't stand it.  Annoying that we are talking about a dog, right?  But it is all true.  The way she turns around in circles before she plops down on the couch next to us, how she will tuck her snout right in between our shoulder and ear and snuggle with us and how every night she waits to be carried to bed with us.  Disturbing, right?!  People talk about their kids like this, I know we do, so why not our dog?!
 
Don't get me wrong, she has her vices. The biggest one is her obsession with food.  We can't even walk into our kitchen without Lollipop jumping up on us to alert us that she is "hungry".  She is absolutely obsessed with cheese, can you blame her?! She can hear a string cheese wrapper miles away.  And then there is the random barking, mainly at huskies.  And as luck would have it, a few huskies live in our neighborhood.



 
Most of us have had a special pet or two or three that has blessed them. It is always so heartbreaking to lose one of the special ones, but it is a gift like no other.  My dear friend Holley's cat, Summer, was with her for 15 years. A lot of times when we are together our conversations end up talking about our pets.  I am extremely allergic cats, so much so that even when a cat has been gone from a home for years, my body still reacts to a cat being in the house.  So even though Summer has been in kitty heaven for a few years now, I still can feel her.  We laugh because when my eyes start watering and swelling and my voice changes a few octaves lower, we think that I turn into the Cat Medium.  It makes Holley smile and although I am uncomfortable, I can't help but smile too.  Summer's presence is still very real in Holley's house!  I hope one day we have a Medium to channel Lollipop ;)
 
To celebrate her big day, we dined al fresco in the beautiful weather, sharing our steak salads and string cheese with Lollipop.  Gag! ;)




 
I feel like everyone is probably used to Thatcher's choice of dress (or undress) by now so I am not even sure why I am drawing attention to it.....


 
New treats for Lolly and yes, that is a strainer on his head....





Yummy treats Mom and Dad!
 

 
Happy 6th birthday sweet Lollipop!

No comments: