Tuesday, October 9, 2012

September in TK

Samantha is doing great in TK (finally!)...I can now drop her off to the playground in the morning without having to walk her into class.  She has met a group of friends and enjoys her teacher, Ms. Trainor and the aide, Ms. Williams.  She is now at school until 2:10 each day except for on Wednesday she gets out at 1:10.  Thatcher has been a trooper and tags along with me all day and waits to coordinate a nap with his sister at around 2:30.  I've just been waking them up a little after 4 PM so that they don't sleep past dinner ;)  I've told her she can just do quiet time in her room but she always falls asleep so I guess she still needs a nap.  
 
She comes home with lots of worksheets and has homework every night except for Friday. She attends Music, Art, P.E., Science and Computer Class which she says is her favorite because she gets to play on a computer like her Mom's and even gets to wear headphones.  Once a week they go to the school library to check out a book which has been really fun for her.
 
They are sent home with a name worksheet as part of their homework each night.  It has been challenging for Samantha to write in lowercase letters and within the lines.
 
Such a big improvement after a few weeks of doing the exercise!
 
Below is the September Newsletter from Ms. Trainor:
 


Hello TK Parents!                                                                                                                September 25, 2012

 
We are off to a great start of the week in TK!  This week students are learning the letter Cc and the corresponding /c/ sound.  Cathy the Caterpillar is our alpha-friend this week and we have been discussing many words that begin with the letter Cc.  Students have been practicing how to write the letter Cc and will continue to practice throughout the week.  When students are writing their letters, directionality is very important.  When you are helping your child with their homework please make sure that they are writing their letters correctly.  For each letter, I have sent home and will continue to send home homework where your child will trace and write the letter of the week.  I will always send that homework home on Monday night as the first homework of the week.  That homework will show how the letter should be written by showing the direction of the print with arrows.  If your child is not tracing or writing the letter correctly, please have them do it over.  If they become frustrated to the point where it is too challenging to complete all of the homework, then please tell your child that they do not have to complete it and write me a quick note.  The last thing I want is for the homework to be overwhelming to you or your child, so please let me know if your child is having a difficult time completing the homework.  It is meant to serve as good practice for the student and as a means of responsibility of the student.  Please review the letters Aa and Bb with your child, along with the corresponding sounds.  We are also working on site words “I”, “like,” and “my.”  I just introduced them today, so they are brand new to the students.  They are working on recognizing, reading, and writing these words.    

In math, this week we are continuing to work on AB and ABC patterns, shapes, rote counting 0-100, one to one correspondence, groups of 10, measuring, and concepts of heavier and lighter and shorter and longer.  Next week I will be handing out number flashcards 12-30 (differentiating based on student) to bring home for those students who have mastered number recognition in 0-12.  We are also working on writing our numbers and it would help your child to have them write the number when you are using the flashcards with them.

Next week we will start our full day schedule in TK.  Starting the week of October 8th, I would love to have parent volunteers to help with rotations in the classroom.  I will be sending a schedule home next week. 

Thank you for all of your support and partnership in making your child’s TK experience the best that it can be.  We’re looking forward to a great rest of the week in TK!
 

Warm Regards,

 
Ms. Trainor


1 comment:

Stone Family said...

So proud of you Samantha! And don't worry you keep practicing those lower case letters and you have them down in no time at all.

Keep up the good work Sammy. XOXOX
The Stones