The kids, dog and Todd go on an early evening walk around the block almost nightly before dinner so I can get somewhat of a break and hopefully Samantha can burn off a fraction of the energy she has. They have a pretty consistent routine down: Say hello to John and Paul (two older men who sit outside at the old folks home), point out the bougainvillea, hibiscus flowers, succulents and cacti, (which she learned all about from her botanist Dad), and stop by to say hello to our neighbor Sofia.
I am always amazed by the things she says when I do the walk with her because she is always pointing out something new and random. I am equally amazed by how long it takes to get around the block with her. What should take less than 10 minutes can take about an hour. I try to be as patient as I can with her but when we have to stop 30 seconds into the walk for her to sit down and have a snack (she usually packs a bag for the "hike"), I start to get a little antsy. Not to mention that she insists on stumbling through the walk wearing rain boots, pushing a large bear in her doll stroller, wearing a gigantic backpack, sunglasses and a beanie on her head.
Today I smartened up and I let her ride her tricycle on the walk. We made it around the block in under 10 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment