Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Bedtime Intruder

On most nights Samantha is super easy to put to bed. Usually after bath time we read or watch a video, she brushes her teeth and then I put her in her crib with all her gear - pacifier, sippy cup of water, book, two blankets, Big Bear, Green Bear, Monkey, Lamb and Puppy. She takes inventory of what she has by pointing to each and saying, "Mimi, Wawa, Bookey, Blankeys, Bear, Bear, Monkey, Lamb, Puppy". I sing her a song, kiss her goodnight and I don't hear from her until about 7:30ish the next morning.

However, about once a week some other baby resembling Samantha appears to take part in the bedtime battle. It all starts once I lay her down in her crib and her body pops up like a Jack-in the Box. "UP, UP, UP!" she will scream. Then she dramatically hurls her entire crib inventory on the floor only to then cry for each item, pointing at me angrily, as if I was the one who did it.

I then will put everything back in her crib, careful to arrange them how she likes them. "No Night Night, No Night Night!" Over and over again she will scream while she thrusts her entire body over the front of the crib, leaning so far over she is about to fall on her head. Since I have yet to invest in a crib tent or convert the crib to a toddler bed, Samantha gets her way and I let her stay up.

Then the circus begins.........

"Show, Show, Show" she will repeat. I say she can watch ONE more show. "Dodo, Dodo, Dodo" she will repeat. I put on Dora the Explorer and she will say, "Meow, Meow, Meow" so I turn Dora off and put on the Kitty Cat video she likes.

This keeps her entertained for about 5 minutes until she is rushing to the kitchen screaming and pounding on the cabinets yelling "Nacks, Nacks, Nacks". I give in and give her a snack because I figure she is hungry since she barely eats all day.

After a round of this I try to put her back to bed only to get the same crazy frantic Samantha with her leg over the crib, screaming at the top of her lungs.

I let her come back out but she has to watch one of my shows - I refuse to watch one more toddler program. I have learned that putting on one of the cable news networks bores her. She will cry for me to put "Dodo" on but I tell her, "It's Mommies turn, you can watch this or go to bed". She definitely understands this phrase because she stops whining and sits quietly.


After this the night can go 1 of 3 ways.

1. She ends up falling asleep on the couch

2. She will ask to go to bed, "Napking, Napking, Napking" (her version of asking to take a nap)

3. She ends up in bed with us

Below is a picture of #1
I always hope for #2
The worse case scenario is #3 and unfortunately it was our night last night, I have the foot imprint mark on my forehead to prove it.



Thankfully tonight the sweet and calm Samantha was here and she is fast asleep. I figure we have a few more good nights to go before the bedtime intruder appears again.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

We are all there with ya! Hopefully tonight will go smoother. Wanted to tell you, I bought a crib tent for my mom to use for my 18-month old nephew and so far so good...and that kid could climb the Eiffel Tower! I wasn't sure if they actually worked or not, but it seems to be doing the trick. He thinks of it as his "fort!" Hope all is well!

Spencer and Emily Nelson family said...

We have some of those bedtime intruders too. Ours visit WAY too often! I'm a sucker though, I love to cuddle my kids in my bed... of course until they start dropping 'foot bombs'.

Terri said...

Too funny! Owen definetly tries to stay up later lately too. He always asks for water after I put him down (which is what I used to do as a kid!). He has tossed his stuffed "friends" out of his crib as well, though it's usually just his paci. It's hard not to give in. Good luck with that! At least Samantha will fall asleep on the couch, Owen has NEVER (other than as an infant of course) fallen asleep anywhere other than his bed, or the car IF and only IF he is completely exhausted!