I should probably not say "End of Soccer Season" because we are realizing it has been a year-round thing for us whether it is pick-up games at the park or Spring leagues or Educo or Club training, our kids want to do more than AYSO. And we like it. It's great exercise, they are becoming more confident in the game and it's fun to watch.
The Professionals, Thatcher's team, made a deal with the team they were to play on Halloween to have their game on Friday rather than that Saturday and to play at Shoreline Park. This way we didn't have to go anywhere near UCSB (which is notorious for being a zoo on Halloween). So, we had a happy hour soccer game with a killer view on an early Friday evening. It got me thinking that it would be nice to have some Friday games rather than taking up your entire Saturday with AYSO.
Another parent took these photos of Thatcher and sent them to me.
Thatcher was always red-faced, aggressive and doing what he could to get the ball. Compared to the U8 girls, the U6 boys were A LOT rougher to watch. Most games looked like a mix of tackle football with a little soccer mixed in. ;)
Papa Ward and Dancing Grandma made it up to see both kids play one weekend.
Mateo and Thatcher were the stars of the team.
When they had to sit out, they both would wait for any opportunity to get back in the game. Every once in while there would be a minor injury and a player from our team would want to sit out and they'd both fight for that open spot.
Thatcher's team won 7 out of 10 games and Thatcher had 15 goals!
The White Snow Tigers finished strong. They won 9 out of 10 of their games and Samantha had 16 goals! We gained a whole new soccer family with joining our new neighborhood team and we loved everything about it.
Especially these ladies! We got to hang out every Friday at practice and then again cheering on our girls the next morning. I couldn't ask for a better Friday evening or Saturday morning!
To celebrate the end of the season for Thatcher's team, we had a parents vs. kids game which ended up being a moms vs. kids and I have to say I was impressed by these ladies!
Pizza party!
Coach Jethro deserved this gigantic bottle of Grey Goose for sure!
Samantha had her awards ceremony and pizza party at the park the same evening as Thatcher. I actually missed Coach Sam speak about Samantha but I heard he mentioned her goal scoring and how nice she is on the field. It's true. She seems to always be the one to accidentally kick a ball into an opponents head or trip them and she will stop mid-game and apologize. It's hard for her to recover after something like this happens but she is learning that it is part of the game. I've even seen her say sorry to someone when she steals the ball in basketball. A very sweet quality that's for sure ;)
Like I said, the soccer is still continuing. Samantha and some of her teammates from AYSO are continuing on with Educo to keep up the training and learn more ball skills. This year, Samantha is old enough to join a club team if she is chosen. Right now, she has been asked to train with the current U9 team once a week. While that is a good sign that she may get a spot on the team, it is still not 100% so we are keeping an open mind on what to do going forward. We do know she wants to continue in some form so we will keep at it for sure.
The best part about the soccer training is the car pool. I should have used the flash but I have two rows of sporty girls excited to be in the car together to and from soccer. There is lots of chit-chat, singing and more chit-chat and it is hysterical! While I love having a break from driving once in a while, I'd happily take this crew every week, they are that fun!
Over Winter break, Samantha joined a few friends for the ONE soccer camp.
It's an intense 2 -day camp and a long day of soccer.
Samantha's coach at the camp was named Andy. He's from Uganda and played professionally. I wish I would have gotten one of him standing because he is giant. A gentle giant for sure.
Thatcher just squeaked by with his age in getting into the camp. Actually, he wasn't quite old enough but we know the guy in charge and he gave the okay.
Thatcher was THRILLED to be at the same camp as the Hasting boys.
And that's all for now with soccer...













No comments:
Post a Comment