Monday, October 19, 2009

Tuna with Asian Slaw

Seared ahi tuna is one of my favorite seafood's to eat. Now that I am pregnant I have to cook my portion all the way through, but it still tastes good. I found this recipe in Real Simple Magazine (one of my favorite magazines) and it did not disappoint.

I had an issue trying to crush the whole coriander and peppercorn seeds with a knife or a pan like they recommend below. I don't have a spice grinder and our coffee grinder was full of coffee so I used our Cuisinart. It worked fine but I hate to bring out the Cuisinart to grind a couple tablespoons of seeds, it seemed a bit silly.


Recipe from Real Simple Magazine


Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
2 cucumbers, peeled
1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
5 scallions (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced on the diagonal
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
4 teaspoons canola oil
4 6-ounce tuna steaks (about 3/4 inch thick)


Preparation
Working over a medium bowl, use a vegetable peeler to create long, thin strips of cucumber. Add the radishes, scallions, cilantro, vinegar, sesame oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper and toss. Cover and refrigerate.

Using the flat side of a knife or the bottom of a heavy pan, crush the coriander seeds and peppercorns. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the remaining salt over the tuna and press some of the crushed coriander and pepper onto each side. Cook, turning once, until the tuna reaches the desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Divide the tuna among individual plates and serve with the Asian slaw.



I am not happy with this picture. I need to get better at my food photography. Part of the problem is that as soon as I start plating up dinner, I have a hungry husband staring at me and a toddler who is in borderline meltdown mode so setting up a photography session is not in the cards.

No comments: