I just finished reading the book Hungry Monkey, A Food-Loving Father’s Quest to Raise an Adventurous Eater by Matthew Amster-Burton that my dear friend Holley gave me and I am so inspired. It's a memoir written by a food writer in Seattle who shares his tale of exposing his daughter to all sorts of culinary experiences from sharing in the preparation of food to partaking in exotic delicacies.
When Samantha started to eat solid foods I followed the book, Super Baby Foods by Ruth Yaron (I am not going to link it - I am so anti this book now). It is probably one of the most popular baby food books out there. Amster-Burton basically puts this book to shame and I don't blame him. I have completely adopted the Hungry Monkey philosophy and love the fact that Samantha eats whatever I make for dinner. Because of this, Samantha will try spicy foods, all kinds of seafood (including sushi) and numerous other items that most little ones won't go near. She doesn't always clear her plate or like what I give her, but we always try to get her to have just a taste. I even have given her (plug your ears) non-organic veggies and heaven forbid SUGAR! It's kind of like the Fallon philosophy on TV - it's fine in moderation (And I am convinced Sam's expansive vocabulary has something to do with some of the shows she watches). Restricting all the "bad stuff" is only going to make her want it more.
2 comments:
I tried plugging my ears but I was still horrified when I read about the non-organic veggies and sugar.
LOVE IT!
Thank you for letting me borrow the book a few months ago; I finally found my food philosophy in someone else's text!
Ants on a Tree is on the menu this week for dinner :)
Post a Comment