Monday, June 8, 2009

Pan-Roasted Halibut with a Jalepeno Vinaigrette

Recipes that call for any type of spice are what I am drawn to. I am one of those people who puts Tabasco on their eggs, crushed red pepper on their pizza, pepperoncinis on sandwiches, horseradish on filet and so on and so forth. Thus, jalapeno vinaigrette on my fish was a no-brainer.

I followed this recipe pretty closely, paired with a balsamic watercress salad and whole-wheat cous cous.


From Food and Wine Magazine by Tom Douglas

Serves 6

Ingredients

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons very finely chopped red onion
Kosher salt
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon very finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium jalapeño
Freshly ground pepper
Six 5- to 6-ounce halibut fillets
Avocado wedges or watercress, for servingDirections


1.In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and onion with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Let stand for 10 minutes, then whisk in the honey, cilantro, mustard, garlic and 1/4 cup of the olive oil.

2.Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over high heat until just smoking. Add the jalapeño and cook, turning, until charred and blistered on all sides, about 2 minutes; let cool slightly. Slip off the charred skin. Discard the stem and cut the jalapeño in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and finely chop the jalapeño. Stir the jalapeño into the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper.

3.In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil over moderately high heat. Season the halibut fillets with salt and pepper and cook, turning once, until they are opaque throughout, about 8 minutes. Transfer the halibut to a platter. Whisk the vinaigrette, spoon it over the fish and serve with avocado wedges or watercress.

1 comment:

SB in SB said...

I too love my hot sauce on my eggs and crushed red pepper on my pizza! And I too was drawn to this recipe and tried it out a few weeks ago. I thought it was delicious. Just the right amount of pizzazz and acid. Kind of wakes up the fish! If you can't taste the food, why eat it?! ;-)