Saturday, September 15, 2012

TK Update


So, week one started off great and didn't end so great, and now that we've made it through week two and three, I can officially say we have a happy, HAPPY student in TK.  Phew! 
 
There were still some tears at the start of week two but each day they got progressively less.  I also promised her that I would come visit her during the school day to check-in on her.  I did that for the first two days and honestly when I showed up she would give me the why are you here mom look.... Um, I am here because I said I would be and it was the only way you would let me leave!  That routine turned into me assuring Samantha that her teacher and the aide had my number and she could ask them to call me at any point that she was feeling sad or if she wanted to go home.  No calls.  And now when I drop her off we have no tears, only hugs, kisses and high fives!  

I have to say, Todd and I went back and forth wondering if we were doing the right thing.  I sought advice from friends, other parents, family, teachers and even spent some time on the phone with her Principal and most assured me that I needed to stick it out a bit longer and that this was totally normal.  I'm so glad we did!  I know we are still in the trial period so who knows what will happen but thankfully there are no more nerves on my end and no more tears on Samantha's end. 

Here are some school related pics from the past few weeks:
 

 
These qualify as "school related" since she technically should have been at school this day.  Instead, she played hooky and spent the afternoon swimming with her grandparents.
 
 
Thatch is fine with missing school too ;)



 
This is Sammie at Auntie Holley's house having a fashion show while Todd and I were at Back To School night. 
 
 
Thatcher's fashion sense just keeps getting better and better don't you think?

 
We also had Sam's parent/teacher conference and assessment.  The test was actually pretty challenging. I was really proud of Samantha.  Her teacher thinks she is on track to reading the beginning reader BOB books by the end of the year.  I have to give credit to the Leap Frog Letter Factory and Super Why for helping her with this (hooray for the cheapest babysitter out there, TV!)   How cool would it be for her to read herself to sleep at night?  Hee hee....
 
 
Actually those early reading books will be good for Todd and me too because we may or may not have already turned to Google to help Samantha finish her homework.... 
 
 
 
If you ask Samantha what her favorite part of school is she says, "recess."  The giant slide is a real draw!
 

 
The desk she got for Christmas last year is coming in handy now.

 
Daddy even refinished it to match the furniture in our house.
 


 
This past Friday parents got to join their children for lunch at school.  Samantha's eyes lit up when she spotted Thatcher and me. 

 
Samantha with her friend and classmate, Mara.


 
And now we have a mix of worksheets and artwork on our refrigerator. 
 
Keep up the good work Sammie! 

No comments: