Sam's birthday is on 11/28 which means each year it will be ON or around Thanksgiving. It also means it is challenging to find a date semi-close to her birthday where people are in town to celebrate, or are not already booked with other holiday happenings. We've had parties for her AFTER her birthday, we've done it BEFORE, but this year we decided to skip the party altogether.
While she is at the age where the word birthday = party (and cupcakes and presents), she is also at the age where we can get by without a big party and she won't really notice. I think because she talks about her birthday all year long that when it actually happens it is sort of a moot point. "Mom, am I almost four? Mom, am I almost 6?" "Will my birthday be Tuesday or Saturday, or yesterday or tomorrow." She has no sense of time. She plans her days by what she is doing before nap and after nap, that is it. Before you think I am a totally awful parent, she will get cupcakes and presents (and a little thing called Disneyland) but the bounce house and house party is not happening this year.
While she is at the age where the word birthday = party (and cupcakes and presents), she is also at the age where we can get by without a big party and she won't really notice. I think because she talks about her birthday all year long that when it actually happens it is sort of a moot point. "Mom, am I almost four? Mom, am I almost 6?" "Will my birthday be Tuesday or Saturday, or yesterday or tomorrow." She has no sense of time. She plans her days by what she is doing before nap and after nap, that is it. Before you think I am a totally awful parent, she will get cupcakes and presents (and a little thing called Disneyland) but the bounce house and house party is not happening this year.
The year Samantha was born Thanksgiving fell on the 22nd. I remember being completely stuffed before we even sat down to dinner at my in-laws house. Four days later I was admitted to the hospital and two days later (yes it was the world's longest labor), our little turkey arrived. In 2013, when she turns 6, her birthday WILL fall on Thanksgiving. We will have to put candles in the turkey that year.
Today at school they celebrated Sam's birthday (early) before everyone headed off for vacation.
On your birthday you get to bring a birthday treat to share with your class. Samantha wanted to bring strawberry shortcakes.
We had so much fun getting them ready last night.
And doing a few test runs and eating a few samples ;)
She requested a princess dress for school today.
And this is Thatcher mocking Samantha's head-tilt model pose she always strikes when you ask to take her picture.
Not only did she come home with a birthday hat from school,
she of course came home with a Pilgrim hat because we just can't seem to separate the two affairs.....
One thing is for sure, Thatcher is definitely the TURKEY in our house!
Happy Thanksgiving and birthday weekend to my favorite girl!
Happy Thanksgiving and birthday weekend to my favorite girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment